In our CNC machining company in Barcelona, one of the materials we use for our machining in Barcelona is stainless steel. Since this is a simple material, whose main component is the Iron with a small amount of carbon.
The difference that CNC knows can exist between a machining in Barcelona of common or stainless steel is that this is a steel alloy with chromium and has a minimum of 10% to 20% by mass.
In our CNC machining company in Barcelona we learned that in the 20th century, it was discovered that by adding a small amount of chromium to ordinary steel, it acquired a brighter appearance and made it resistant to dirt and corrosion. That is to say, adding chromium to the steel prevents the oxidation of this since chromium contains great affinity for oxygen and reacts with it. Thus, a film of chromium oxide is formed that prevents oxygen from entering the material, a very important thing when machining. It also prevents corrosion and oxidation of iron, in our case, steel. In machining in Barcelona, some types of stainless steel also contain other alloying elements such as molybdenum and nickel.
From our company CNC machining in Barcelona we will name the different uses of stainless steel:
- In the exhaust pipes, ie in the automotive
- For household appliances and appliances
- In buildings, facades and materials
- In chemicals and petroleum
Types of Stainless Steel
From our company CNC machining in Barcelona, we want to explain two types that can exist in stainless steel:
- Martensite stainless steel: This steel is an alloy of iron, chromium and carbon, with typical carbon contents greater than or equal to 0.10%. Chrome from 12% to 14%. The most common in this group are the 18/18 or 340 type with 18% chromium and 8% nickel. On the other hand, there are superaustenitic stainless steels with a nickel content of more than 20%. In machining in Barcelona it is usually used in parts that require good resistance to corrosion, weldability and properties at high temperatures.
- Ferritic stainless steel: This steel is an alloy of iron, chromium and carbon with typical contents of carbon less than 0.10%, chromium between 16% and 18% and a very low nickel content. This steel has magnetic properties and weldability is low. It also has medium-low resistance to corrosion, increasing the higher the chromium content.
In our CNC machining company in Barcelona we hope this information has been useful to understand the benefits and different types of stainless steel.
Comments are closed.